Network Engineer – Transmission
London, United Kingdom
Overall Job Purpose
Responsible for managing Epsilons transmission networks globally, including planning and deployment network expansions to support the MPLS, SDH and voice networks, perform migrations from legacy platforms, perform software upgrades on all devices related to the transmission network.
Provide support for service delivery and service assurance teams as and when required.Epsilons transmission network consist of leased Dark Fiber and Leased wavelength, with either DWDM/CWDM and Roadm technology and OTN layer to provide access to the upper layer networks and to provide wavelength services to our customer.
Provide network layer documentation and keep the documentation updated as well as produce low level provisioning descriptions to ensure standardised provisioning of all transmission services.
Produce testing documentation and ensure each new network link is fully tested and error free before implemented in the network.
Participate in network planning meetings, and provide low level plans for major network changes with detailed diagrams and full scope of works for physical and logical work, and through automation as much as possible.
Work in close collaboration with the service assurance team to ensure they have necessary documentation to support the network and all monitoring is setup for all network metrics to enable proactive monitoring of backbone and customer services.
Support the capacity management team with data collection and provide up to date details of utilisation and support capacity management team by executing migrations to free up capacity.
Act as Level 3 escalation for network outages and complex customer issues, as well as provide technical support to Service Delivery teams and Technical sales for complex orders and high value bids.
- Responsible Network documentation
- Adhere to change control for any network changes
- Follow technology trends and understand the technical details (rfc etc)
- HLD and LLD development where needed
- Development of provisioning procedures for Transmission based services
- Development and updating of troubleshooting procedures
- Development of troubleshooting guides for network and customer service-related issues.
- Drive best practice for alarm and event clearing and assurance practice into the NOC.
- Support NOC and Provisioning when needed.
- Support technical sales team when needed
- Support day to day network operation where required.
- Participate in on-call rota.
- Experienced Network Engineer with working knowledge of optical transmission technologies such as passive and amplified C/DWDM networks, OTN Networks and SDH/SONET network technologies.
- Self-motivated and driven by technology evolution driving or developing business benefit.
- Knowledge of Nokia PSS and SDH platforms, Ekinops 360 Platform and BTI 7000 and BTI 7200 Platforms, or alternatives.
- Ability to solve design and operational problems, plan and schedule complex communication system or services upgrades, modifications, and new equipment deployment and network integration.
- Extensive Knowledge of test equipment and troubleshooting techniques used to identify root cause and resolution.
- Degree & or equivalent Technology related achievement
- 5 years’ experience in a telecommunication service provider
- Practical experience working with IP-MPLS is a plus
- Curious and willing to learn
- Attention to detail
- Team player but able to work solo when required
- Ability to train team members