Network Automation Engineer
Overall Job Scope
We are seeking a skilled Network Automation Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for writing scripts to collect inventory and utilisation information from our network devices across multiple network layers, including Juniper, Cisco, BTI, and Ekinops, and using this data to ensure that our in-house inventory and capacity management systems are correctly updated and we have day to day view of utilisation. The inventory system is developed in-house, and the automation team is responsible for the data entered into the system is consistent with the network and 3rd party supplier inventory data. You will also be responsible for maintaining and updating management systems, including user administration and operation system maintenance, updates, and migrations.
One of the systems is Check_MK, for which you should potentially develop additional checks as needed.
We work closely with many teams, primarily the other Software Developers, IT and the Network Engineering team.
- Collect and integrate data from devices across multiple network layers, including Juniper, Cisco, BTI, and Ekinops
- Use SQL and Python to analyze and manipulate data as needed
- Maintain and update management systems, including user administration and operation system maintenance, updates, and migrations
- Develop checks that compare information from our end network devices with data from a third-party and in-house built inventory too
- Assist with the migration of management systems
- Utilize CI/CD processes and Github to manage and track code changes
- Work closely with the rest of the team to ensure smooth operation of the network
- Continuously learn and stay up-to-date with new technologies and best practices in network automation
Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in network automation, with a strong focus on Python and SQL
- Strong knowledge of Linux
- Familiarity with Automation tools such as Ansible and CHEF
- Familiarity with XML, YAML and JSON
- Familiarity with SNMP
- Familiarity with CI/CD processes and Github
- Preferably some understanding of Juniper Network Automation tools and framework.
- Juniper Network Automation tools and framework.
- Understanding of IP/MPLS networks is a plus
- Experience with Juniper, Cisco, BTI, and Ekinops devices is a plus
- Experience with Check_MK and PRTG and the ability to develop additional extensions to these platforms is a plus
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills
- Can-do attitude and ability to work well in a team environment
- Analytical thinking and open minded to solutions from others, as well as being an active contributor during solutioning and troubleshooting.
- Curious and willing to explore solutions and self-study when required.
- Detail oriented